Who are we?
Elm Storage includes Elm Self Store and Elm Leisure Storage Limited. The websites we operate, and this policy refer to are: www.elmselfstore.co.uk. For simplicity, “we” and “us” means Elm Storage.
Elm Storage is the data controller in relation to the processing of personal information that you provide us when using our services.
For any queries relating to your data, you can contact us at: email@example.com
Your personal and sensitive personal data
Under data protection legislation, the data that organisations hold about you can be categorised as follows:
Personal Data: This is data related to an identifiable person or data that can be used to identify a distinct individual. Examples of personal data we collect and process include names, email addresses, location and telephone numbers. Where this policy states “your data/your personal data” we are referring to Personal Data unless otherwise stated.
Sensitive Personal Data: Sometimes referred to as “Special Category Data”, this is data that is deemed to be more sensitive than the above personal data. For example, payment details. We will usually ask for your consent to collect or process this data, though there may be instances where we are required or permitted to do so by applicable law (e.g. To comply with UK legal requirements). We never use your sensitive personal data for marketing purposes.
The legal bases we rely on
Under data protection legislation, organisations must have one of a number of reasons for processing your personal data. Below we outline the bases we use and an example of the purpose for which it is used:
Consent: In some situations, we ask for your consent to process your data for the purpose we have identified.
- For example, we ask you sign a contract when you store with us.
Contractual obligations: Sometimes we may need your data to fulfil our obligations.
- For example, we may need your payment details, address and contact details to process payment and secure your booking.
Legal compliance: There may be some situations where we are required by law or regulatory bodies to process your data
- For example, we may require you provide proof of ID and age where the law requires.
- Gathering information as part of investigations by regulatory bodies or in connection with legal proceedings or requests.
Legitimate Interests: In some situations, we require your data to pursue our interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not significantly impact your rights or freedom.
- For example, we will use the contact details you provide, to call/text/email you regarding your enquiry/storage and provide you with targeted relevant information.
When do we collect your personal data?
- When you visit any of our websites
- When you communicate with us by phone or email
- When you request further information from us
- When you make payments to us or require a refund
- When you fill in any forms
- When you visit our site as we operate CCTV systems for security purposes
What personal data do we collect?
- You may submit information to us via an enquiry form. This may include your name, email address, phone number and postcode. We require this information to contact you regarding your enquiry and to better understand demand for our services.
- Details of your interactions with us. For example, we may make note of conversations and maintain phone call logs.
- Copies of documents you provide to prove your age or ID where the law or company policy requires.
- Payment details.
How and why do we use your personal data?
We want to give you the best possible experience from your very first interaction with us. One way to achieve this is to better understand who you are by collecting data about you.
There are many cases where we are required to collect and process data about you either to fulfil our contractual obligations to you or to comply with the law.
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To contact you regarding your enquiry – we have to collect and process your data in order to fulfil your request for further information or to book an appointment.
- To provide you with further information about the subject of your enquiry so you understand your options and can make an informed decision.
- To remind you by email when payments are due.
- To contact you by telephone regarding your storage.
- To make sure we’re speaking to the right person – to help prevent and detect fraud.
- To take payment and process refunds.
- To provide customer service and support.
How we protect your data
We take the security of your data seriously and take all appropriate steps to protect it from unauthorised access, loss and misuse. We never sell any of your personal data for any purpose. Any sensitive personal data we may collect is never used for marketing purposes and access to such data is further restricted.
How long do we keep your data?
We only keep your data for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected. At the end of the period, your data will be deleted.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We never sell or share your data to any third parties. We want to maintain your trust as a reputable company and believe this is essential to ensure this.
What are your rights?
You have many rights relating to your personal data including:
- The right to access the personal data we hold about you.
- The right to request the correction of inaccurate data about you. If we hold inaccurate or out of date information about you, you can request that we change or update it.
- The right to request that we delete your data or stop processing it – in some instances such as where we no longer need it, we can delete your personal data.
- The right to withdraw your consent – Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind and tell us.
- Please note there may be instances where we refuse your request for any of the above (unless otherwise stated) where we have a strong overriding reason or are legally obliged to.
If you wish to exercise any of your rights, have a complaint or questions about this policy, please ask us for details.
Complete this form to request your data held on this website.